A little bit on micro and macro nutrients

Hello there! 🙂 I think it is time for me to lay some foundations in our knowledge of a healthy diet. The best way to do so is to try to introduce the basic concepts in food composition – namely, micro and macro nutrients. I will try to do so in several small bite-sized posts.

It’s about time for us to get into the basic food components – the micro and macro nutrients. Are you familiar with them? How much do you really know them? Are you tired of the same text-book approach, that gets you lost in mid-sentence. Well, read on if you are looking for something different and more engaging.



The Basics

Macro nutrients are those, which we have to consume in a relatively larger quantity in our diet on a daily basis. As you probably already know, they are – proteins, carbohydrates, fats.

Micro nutrients are essential vitamins and dietary minerals for us, which we have to consume in a lot smaller quantities. Usually those are less than 100 milligrams per day.

What I am trying to achieve with those series of articles is not to glorify or vilify a specific macro nutrient. On the contrary, I want to dispense some useful information, which will be handy to you later on in judging dietary advices. The knowledge of basic nutritional concepts is what we are currently lacking, in general.


I am sure you have read a lot of headlines, which are advertising the amazing benefits of a specific micro nutrient, the foods in which it is contained and how great it would be if only we consumed more of it. That’s all very nice, but a healthy diet doesn’t consist of a few specific foods. We have to be able to make the decisions for what we eat on the fly and to be really aware of the food composition, how it will reflect on our daily caloric budget and what are the macros within it. Let’s be aware of what actually impacts our diet on 90% and then focus on the remaining 10%.

Years ago the fats were the culprits for the majority of the health issues. Now it seems are the carbs. In a few years time, probably, it will be the proteins, derived from an animal source. That’s a never-ending cycle, which doesn’t lead to long-term results. It’s just fads.



Follow me along these blog posts and we’ll look into popular myths, discern the real facts and gather some useful knowledge.

Share on facebook
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest
Share on whatsapp
Share on twitter
Share on email
Scroll Up